Thursday, February 21, 2008

Catch the Pain


I am currently reading Hearts in Atlantis and I am really enjoying the book. I am a huge Stephen King fan as his book triggered lots of emotion. As a child reading is my favorite hobby and I think I first discovered the wonders of immersing yourself inside a novel through Stephen King. I am writing this down because I thought I had outgrown Stephen King but after picking one of his novels again, I discovered he still had the power to mesmerize me.

Anyway a phrase from the book caught my attention, Catch the pain. Pain travels from the source to the brain, according to Ted Brautigan a character in Hearts in Atlantis. Ted said this to Carol an 11-year old girl who had a bad injury in her shoulder after 3 boys attacked her in a park. Ted said he can fix her shoulder but had instructed the girl to bite the belt he gave her when he said so. This will allow her to catch the pain before it goes to her brain. Doing so will prevent her from experiencing the pain.

I was amazed with the concept. Whenever we feel hurt, maybe the remedy to ease the bad feelings is as simple as that. Maybe we can really catch the pain…

No comments: